Pilots Withstand MVNU Comeback to Advance to Semifinals
MISHAWAKA – Bethel Volleyball won the final eight rallies of the match to withstand Mount Vernon Nazarene in the Crossroads League Tournament Quarterfinals on Tuesday and eked out a 3-2 victory to advance to the Semifinals on Thursday. Isabelle North recorded a career-high 17 kills while Jackie Fernandez recorded a Crossroads League Tournament Quarterfinal Round best and career-high 43 digs.
- Score: Bethel def. Mount Vernon Nazarene 25-21, 25-21, 25-27, 16-25, 15-12
- Records: Bethel (15-3) | Mount Vernon Nazarene (6-8)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – NR | Mount Vernon Nazarene – NR
- Location:Wiekamp Athletic Center | Bethel University | Mishawaka, Ind.
- Isabelle North: 17 kills, .342 hitting percentage, 4 blocks
- Maddy Payne (NorthWood HS): 12 kills, 7 blocks
- Jackie Fernandez (Elkhart Memorial HS): 43 digs, 1 service ace
- Cheyanne Seymour (LaPorte HS): 11 kills, .300 hitting percentage
- Payton Hart (East Noble HS): 10 kills, 25 digs
- Madyson Beaver: 8 kills, 30 assists, 19 digs
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Payton Hart served for match point in the third set at 24-23 but the Pilots could not put the Cougars away.
- The Pilots trailed 12-7 in the fifth set before rattling off points on the final eight rallies off of Payton Hart serves to secure the victory.
- The Pilots’ 69 kills in the match is a season-high and their 129 digs is sixth-most in program history.
- It is the Pilots’ first Crossroads League Tournament victory since defeating Mount Vernon Nazarene in the Quarterfinal Round on November 11, 2014.
- Jackie Fernandez recorded a career-high 43 digs—also the most in the Crossroads League Tournament Quarterfinals this year.
- Maddy Payne recorded a Crossroads League Tournament Quarterfinal best 7 blocks. The freshman from Nappanee leads all of NAIA in total blocks with 98 this season.
- Four Pilots recorded double-digit kills, led by Isabelle North’s career-high 17.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots will travel to Indianapolis to take on NAIA No. 1 and defending national champion Marian in the Crossroads League Tournament Semifinals on Thursday at 7:00 pm. The Pilots defeated the Knights in four sets in Indianapolis earlier this season.
THOUGHTS FROM COACH WEISS
- “Close match for the first round of the conference tournament. Things got messy for us at the end of the third set and we lost after having game point. We’ve got to focus on finishing strong and making less unforced errors.”