MISHAWAKA – Bethel Men’s Basketball outrebounded Mount Vernon Nazarene 53-34 on Wednesday evening en route to a 99-82 victory in Crossroads League action. TreVion Crews scored a team-high 23 points while Nathan Aerts added 21 points and 14 rebounds.
- Score: Bethel def. Mount Vernon Nazarene 99-82
- Records: Bethel (14-3, 6-1) | Mount Vernon Nazarene (3-6, 3-3)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – No. 19 | Mount Vernon Nazarene – NR
- Location: Wiekamp Athletic Center | Bethel University | Mishawaka, Ind.
- TreVion Crews: 23 pts, 5 ast, 7-7 ft
- Nathan Aerts: 21 pts, 14 reb, 9-17 fg
- Wesley Burse: 11 pts, 3 reb, 1 stl
- Jared DeHart: 18 pts, 5 reb, 6 ast
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Pilots recorded a season-high 27 offensive rebounds and outscored the Cougars 25-10 in second chance points.
- The Pilots set a season-best with just 6 turnovers and held a plus-17 advantage in points off turnovers.
- TreVion Crews passed Rico Swanson for the tenth-most points in three consecutive seasons in program history. He has 1,782 for his career in three seasons.
- Nathan Aerts has three double-digit rebounding games this season and has pulled down at least 7 rebounds in five of his last six games played.
- The Pilots trailed 16-2 early and got back to within 19-15. After falling behind 32-23 with 7:08 remaining in the first half, the Pilots used a 22-4 run to jump ahead 45-36 with 2:12 remaining in the half.
- After the Pilots extended their second half lead to as many as 12 points, the Cougars cut the deficit to 70-68 with 9:50 remaining, but the Pilots used a 20-4 run over the next five minutes to secure the game at 90-72.
- Steve Drabyn matched Ryne Lightfoot for the second-best record thru their first 50 career games coached at 36-14. Mike Lightfoot holds the superlative at 38-12.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots host Goshen in the US Highway 20 Cup Series on Saturday at 1:00 pm.