New Look Pilots Blow Past Cornerstone
MISHAWAKA – Bethel Women’s Basketball used a dominant third quarter to outpace Cornerstone in their season opener in the Wiekamp Athletic Center on Thursday evening, 118-84. The Pilots set a record for most field goals made in a single game and were two points shy of tying the mark for most points in a game.
- Score: Bethel def. Cornerstone 118-84
- Records: Bethel (1-0) | Cornerstone (1-1)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – NR | Cornerstone – NR
- Location:Wiekamp Athletic Center | Bethel University | Mishawaka, Ind.
- Kelsey Brickner: 17 pts, 7-9 fg, 2 stl
- Kallie McElroy: 17 pts, 7-12 fg, 4 ast
- Nyla Asad: 14 pts, 8 reb, 6 ast, 2 stl
- Sydney Williams: 10 pts, 4 reb, 2-3 3-pt
- Alba Garcia Camarena: 6 pts, 4 stl
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Pilots scored their second-most points in program history and their most points under Head Coach Doug Porter. It is the third top-five scoring game in program history under Porter.
- The Pilots broke the program record for field goals made in a game with 47. The previous record was set last season in a win over Great Lakes Christian on Nov. 19 with 44 made field goals.
- Nyla Asad (LaPorte HS; pictured) is the first Pilot freshman to record at least 13 points, 6 rebounds, and 6 assists in a single game since Abby Noll in 2003-04.
- The Pilots used an 16-0 run in the middle of the third quarter to turn a 67-61 advantage into a 83-61 lead in just under two and a half minutes of game time to seize control of the contest.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots travel to Coach Porter’s old stomping grounds, Olivet Nazarene, on Wednesday, November 4 to take on the Tigers at 7:00 pm ET.