MARION, Ind. – With a sweep of No. 1 Marian, Indiana Wesleyan Volleyball completed its quest for back-to-back Crossroads League Tournament Championships on Saturday afternoon in Luckey Arena.
In 2019, IWU defeated Marian 3-2 to win the Crossroads League Tournament Championship. The Wildcats have won the league tournament 15 times since Candace Moats took over in 2002 including 10 regular-season titles.
IWU has now won eight Crossroads League Tournament Championships in the last 10 years and 11 of the last 15.
INSIDE THE BOX
- The Wildcats used a hot start in the first set to win 25-18 hitting at a .268 clip while holding Marian to .111. Coming into the match the Wildcats had a .252 attacking percentage to the Knights .264.
- Ana Collar came up big for IWU with 23 digs and 12 kills. The junior tallied a .278 attacking percentage.
- The duo of Allison Sparrow and Rachel Klitzing ran the middle combining for 16 kills and a .350 attacking percentage. The pair have the two highest attacking percentages in the Crossroads League this season.
- The Wildcats libero Havyn Gates ran the show on defense coming up with 25 digs.
- IWU held the advantage in blocks seven to five as Marian’s top attackers were limited in kills. Reining NAIA Player of the Year and Crossroads League Player of the Year, Skyler Van Note, was quiet in the first two sets and finished with 13 kills on 34 attempts with seven errors for an attacking percentage of .176.
- The Wildcats also held Marian to an attacking percentage of .123 while hitting .212 themselves.
- Wow, I am so proud of the effort and togetherness from the girls. In our pregame devotional we talked about when Jesus left the disciples and told them to continue living their lives for Him. We took that onto the court and were determined to play for Jesus and each other no matter what came our way.
- The girls all played so well. I am proud of each one of them for the hard work they put in. They went out and earned that win over a great Marian team.